Fishponds, Bristol CLT
Bristol CLT is a Community Land Trust that works to bring on sites for community led housing, involving future residents in the design and build process. Now completed, its first project, Fishponds Road, received initial support from the local authority.
• Community/collective • Council Asset • Dense • Apartments • Mixed Homes
Key learning points
- Initial support by the council was vital to the creation of the CLT
- There was strong demand for the homes (150 people joined the CLT on its launch), and all residents are eligible for social housing
- The process of securing a site, obtaining planning permission and building to budget was difficult and time consuming. Determination and flexibility are key qualities for delivering community led projects.
- Working with a supportive housing association will help community groups understand the technical processes, funding and skills needed to deliver larger projects.
- Recruiting a committed and enthusiastic development officer underpinned the success at Fishponds